How to import Blackmagic Raw files to Adobe Premiere Pro CC
Digital cameras from Blackmagic Design company are very popular: Pocket, Micro Cinema, Production 4K, URSA, URSA Mini Pro, etc. But on the latest camera models one can't find standard raw compression algorithm (Lossless JPEG) which is quite common for CinemaDNG format. Blackmagic Design has recently introduced new format which is called CinemaDNG RAW and this is the way how raw data are compressed inside Blackmagic cameras. This is actually visually lossless encoding which offers better compression ratio to increase duration of the recording. There are two options: RAW 3:1 and RAW 4:1 which are corresponding approximately to 3-times and 4-times compression at certain standard conditions.
CinemaDNG RAW format is not open, that's why many software just can't work with such footages. For example, Adobe Premiere Pro CC software doesn't currently support compressed Raw files from BMD, so it's impossible to import and to edit in Adobe Premiere Pro raw image sequences from Blackmagic cameras. An attempt to import CinemaDNG RAW files into Adobe Premiere Pro leads to the following error message: "Unsupported Format or Damaged File". If user try import such DNG series via Adobe Media Browser - when trying to import the files through the Import option, then Media Browser says that it cannot parse the files. That task could be solved without going to Davinci Resolve.
The main idea to offer such a possibility is to implement CinemaDNG RAW transcoding to the format which is native to Adobe Premiere Pro CC. It means that transform from Blackmagic RAW 3:1 or 4:1 to CinemaDNG files with Lossless JPEG compression or to Uncompressed CinemaDNG could be a solution for such a task.
CinemaDNG RAW converter pipeline at Fast CinemaDNG Processor
- CinemaDNG RAW import, parsing, decoding, saving all embedded metadata
- Export options: Uncompressed CinemaDNG, CinemaDNG with Lossless JPEG, CinemaDNG RAW 3:1, CinemaDNG RAW 4:1, CinemaDNG RAW 5:1
- Optionally we can add to the converter some more RAW processing: Crop, Curves and Levels, Raw denoising, Bad/Hot pixels removal
CinemaDNG RAW workflow to prepare Blackmagic footage for Adobe Premiere Pro
- Run Fast CinemaDNG Processor
- Load CinemaDNG RAW footage via drag-n-drop or context menu
- Choose project output format to be DNG
- Choose encoding method: Uncompressed or Lossless JPEG
- Press red button on Player
- Wait for the transcoding to be finished
- After transcoding you can find at Output folder new footage with specified encoding
Uncompressed export option includes the following bit depths: 8-bit, 10-bit, 12-bit, 14-bit, 16-bit. For compatibility with Adobe Premiere Pro CC one have to utilize either Uncompressed or Lossless JPEG export options.
Apart from CinemaDNG RAW transcoding scenario, we can apply full image processing pipeline to compressed footage from Blackmagic Design cameras in realtime on GPU: native support of DNG/CinemaDNG/Blackmagic CinemaDNG RAW formats, fast decoding, high quality debayering, realtime denoising, DCP and LCP profiles, 3D LUT, smooth CinemaDNG playback for 4K and much more.